Home / Gazette / Falling Leaf Rally Update by Rich Race

Falling Leaf Rally Update by Rich Race

Posted on

Check the tires and fuel, gear up and get ready for the 42nd Falling Leaf Rally! As this year’s rally coordinator, I rely on the accomplishments of all the club members that have made this a premier BMW rally. Past rally chairs have been generous with their time and insight as we prepare for this year. We are all set with the Lions Club of Potosi, the pins and award plaques are ordered, and everything else that should be done by August 1st is checked off in the rally timeline.

Now that the Washington County Fair is over and the Lion’s club grounds are cleared up, we can get started on the details that go into a successful rally. What is needed most from our members is their commitment to be at the rally and spend some time helping. You get a $5.00 discount on your entry fee when you volunteer. Wear your club name tag. Come on down Thursday afternoon or evening if you can. That’s when the major set up activity occurs. Most of the rally attendees arrive on Friday, and we need to be ready for them!

Rally resource management is “decentralized.” There are some members that are willing to be the person that makes sure a part of the rally goes well. These rally guys and gals run their area how they want it to go. Many thanks to these folks, listed below. They would appreciate hearing from members that want to help out.

There are some areas that need a guy or gal coordinator. So lots of opportunity to get involved!

With the passing of Al Schroer, I am the sole coordinator for the rally this year. I have had lots of help. However, there should be a person working with me to learn about the rally. This person would co-chair with me next year, then would be the coordinator for the 2019 rally. This approach assures that rally knowledge is not concentrated in one person. Are you interested?

Also with Al’s passing, the rally needs a person to form up the bathroom team, keeping the bathrooms and shower rooms supplied and neat.

The volunteer desk is open. This is a job for helping attendees that want to volunteer find the assignment that helps the rally. This needs a person or two on Friday.

Another open leader spot is directing a team of volunteers in keeping the Lion’s Den neat and orderly.

A member volunteer is needed to handle the volunteer and vendor thank you pizza dinner on Saturday night.

A member volunteer is needed to organize the closing event.

A member volunteer is needed to get a team of ambassadors to be present around the rally site, take photos and upload them to the rally facebook page during the event, meet people and ask them for feedback about the rally.

Please let me know soon if you will fill one of these positions. Call me at 314-401-5790 or talk to me at a meeting or event. Also new, Larry Floyd will set up a hospitality table, to provide attendees a variety of things to consider doing.

The rally guys and gals are:

  Registration: Jeff Ackerman. Only members can volunteer for registration, so Jeff gets volunteers directly, not through the volunteer desk.

Observation Run: Jeff plans the route, creates the map, and generally coordinates. He will get a volunteer if he needs one.

GS Ride: Jeff assists Tom Huff.

  Prizes and Awards: Cathy Bissell (pictured) and Marilyn Roberts. Another member only area, so not handled through the volunteer desk. Cathy and Marilyn shouldn’t be the only people at the desk all day Friday and Saturday, so they could use some member volunteers. Give them a hand!
Volunteer Desk: (your name here). Organize volunteer sign up and be proactive during registration to fill the most needed volunteer spots. Be the ambassador to volunteers at the Saturday evening pizza party.
  Utility: Phil Sulfstede handles many responsibilities around the grounds. He may need help from time to time, but he decides if he needs volunteers. If he asks you, please help!
  Bike Show, Ice, and Firewood: Jim Shaw will get this done, and may ask you to help.
  Gate and Grounds: Jim Williams takes care of staffing the gate, parking, vendor set up, special needs campers, and liaison to the Sheriff Auxiliary. This can be a mix of members or attendees. He may be looking for someone to work with him intending to take over next year.
  Hot Dog Roast: George Seide carries this out with panache. Volunteers are members and attendees.
  Beverages: coffee, lemonade, hot chocolate, tea, and ice. Walt Eschmann is stepping into this role. Volunteers can be members or attendees. Experienced help needed during rush times Saturday and Sunday mornings
GS ride: Tom Huff leads the ride and Jeff Ackerman assists. Generally, no volunteers called for.
Den: (your name here). Organize a team to keep the den welcoming and clean.
Bathrooms: (your name here). Keep the bathrooms and showers supplied and clean.
Sunday Morning clean and packing: All hands on deck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all that have coached me and volunteered so far! I am excited about our 42nd rally!